Thanks for Stopping By

The Applespeed Blog gives up to the minute info on what's happening in the dynamic life of Johnny Applespeed. Hear the latest Speed Music, see the latest Speed Fashion and read the latest Speed Fiction. Have fun and bookmark this blog to keep up to Speed.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

How to Write a Book Series

During the writing of my first book PRESS RELEASE, I learned a great deal about the process. I took me quite a while because I didn't know some of the basic concepts of actually writing a book--like, you actually have to sit down and write. I learned that writing a book is not the hard part. The hard part is actually sitting down to write. Wow. That was an eye opener. Sounds blatantly obvious but it wasn't for me.

So, I decided to write some articles on what I learned about writing my first book in the hopes that it may help some others see what is staring them in the face. Writing is a fun process--at least for me. Anyone who plans on writing a book better have a similar attitude. Another grain of obviousness.

Here it is. The first installment.

How to Write Your First Book for New Authors    Part 1

Writing a new book is a dream for many people. It sounds so romantic to think of oneself as a new author having in their hands a published work of art. Today, it is not that difficult to get published because you can do it yourself. You can write new book, edit it yourself, format it yourself, create the finished art for the cover and get a copy in your hands in a couple of day. Createspace.com can really do this for just a few bucks for a proof. So, getting a new book for a new author is literally no big deal today.

The problem, therefore, is not getting the book published, but rather writing the new book in the first place. If you have never written a new book and you want to become a new author, then getting started can be a huge obstacle. We have all heard the stories of novelists sitting at a desk in the dark with a single light bulb dangling from a wire over a cigarette smoke hidden Royal typewriter plucking out the words “It was a dark and stormy night.” Well, this may have happened at some time, but the reality is that writing a new novel or any type of new book requires work and dedication. If you think it will be easy to write a new novel then you may be surprised at how much work it really takes.
When I first started my new novel I thought it would have been done in about 60 days and I would be off making money. Oh, my word. I was so wrong. It actually took years to write. It wasn’t because I didn’t have the ideas or the ability—it was motivation and discipline. I was treating my new book like it was some sort of game and not giving it the serious attention it needed to get ‘r done. I was kidding myself. Finally, I got my stuff together and decided this is stupid. I can do this. I had about 25% of the new novel done and did the next 75% in 45 days.
How? Well, I got serious. So, the first thing I would advise all new authors trying to write a new novel or new book is to get serious. You probably go to a job everyday to make money so you can eat and get air conditioning (I’m in Vegas). You get up, get ready and get to work on time. You have to do it or you won’t last long. You need to figure out some way to treat your writing the same way.
You need to find a time to get ready and go to work writing your new novel. I remember reading something about Steven King one time and he said he tried to write ten pages a day. Sounds easy, huh? If you did that you would have a 300 page book in about a month. The point is you need to get serious. This is the first step in getting it done. Take it from someone who went down the wrong road to writing a new novel, you can to so get serious and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment